- Judges 2:10-19 (what the period of judges looked like)
- Genesis 19:30-38 (how Moab came to be)
- Deuteronomy 8:2-5 (why God allows famines sometimes)
- Bethlehem means "house of Bread."
- The time of the judges followed after Joshua's death. Joshua was Moses's successor as the leader of the Israelites. He led them into the promised land of Canaan.
- Prior to this the Israelites had wandered in the wilderness for 40 years, and had seen many miracles:
- Parting of Red Sea
- Provision of manna
- Providing water when there was none
- Making water sweet when it was bitter
- Allowing their clothes not to wear out
- Crossing of the Jordan River
- God's presence at Mt. Sinai
- The Commandments
- Under the period of the Judges they did not achieve success against their enemies when they turned away from God.
Things to think about:
- Have you ever turned away from God? What were the consequences?
- What specific things did God tell you to do that you did not do?
- Do you believe that God has specific plans for you?