Saturday, August 21, 2010

Conversation in the Dark

Mr. Speed Racer has been difficult at bedtime lately - as in he does not want to go to sleep.  You know sometimes you are so close to the problem that you don't even notice it anymore?  Well that was us a few weeks ago.  I'm not sure what happened - I guess I found him out of bed one too many times, but we began to fix the problem.  I decided to sit outside the kid's bedroom (he shares a room with Princess) to ensure we did not find Speed Racer playing in the bathroom later or who knows what else.  This is the conversation I overheard about the darkness one day this week (I especially liked Princess's response):

Speed Racer:  I need the door opened.
I close the door in attempt to keep him in the room.
Speed Racer:  Tell mommy you need the door opened.
Me:  No, you talk to mommy.
Speed Racer:  Mommy, I afraid of the darkness.
Me:  Okay, go lay down.  {I crack the door open to give him some light.}
Princess (an 80 year old in a 4 year old's body):  Speed Racer, I remember when I was afraid of the darkness.  You just have to love your bed, and hug it, and snuggle in it, and then you won't be afraid of the darkness and then you will be able to sleep.
Speed Racer:  Okay.

We've since bought a low light nightlight to go in the bedroom, which has helped.  We've always had a bedtime routine which we always try to stick to (bible story, prayers, kisses), and now I make sure he goes to the potty once again, has his blankie, his special toy for sleeping with, and then I wait at the door while they settle down.  It seems to be working.  Plus, I have to be particular about how long we sleeps for naptime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive your thoughts. I am blessed and encouraged by them. May God bless your day today!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin